In 1976 Dr. Popp began his medical studies at the University of Nebraska College of Medicine where he received his medical as well as Bachelor of Science degrees in May 1979. Thereafter, Dr. Popp was a resident in the Department of Ophthalmology at the University of Nebraska Medical Center from 1979 through 1982. After his residency, Dr. Popp began a fellowship in oculofacial plastic surgery in association with the University of Arizona Medical School in Tucson. He completed this in the summer of 1983 and began his private practice.
Following his oculofacial plastic surgery training, Dr. Popp became board certified in facial plastic surgery in 1986. Through continuing post-graduate education, he has persisted at attaining the highest level of cosmetic surgical training available, achieving full board certification in general cosmetic surgery in 1997. He is a regional expert and national instructor of tumescent liposuction and oculofacial plastic surgery. Dr. Popp was an instructor of head and neck surgical anatomy at Stanford University from 1982 thru 2005.
Since 1982, he has authored over 20 medical papers and book chapters, as well as given lectures and surgical instruction on more than 50 occasions throughout the United States and Europe.
Dr. Popp, along with 47 other physicians, was an investigator of botulinum toxin (BOTOX ®) under FDA protocol prior to its approval for general use in 1989. He has used BOTOX ® since 1982 with over 35,000 injections given to date.
Dr. Popp has the coveted title of Fellow in the following organizations
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, 1983
- American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, 1986
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, 1997
- American College of Surgeons, 1988
- American College of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons, 1992
- American Academy of Aesthetic & Restorative Surgery, 1995
Dr. Popp is also a member in good standing in the following organizations
- American Society Of Liposuction Surgery Inc., 1987
- Associate, European Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, 1989
- American Society of Cosmetic Breast Surgery, 1997
- The International Society of Cosmetic Laser Surgeons, 1996